Coloring Book by Chance The Rapper Review

It aint Acid Rap, but gah damn. Chance made a new album.
I remember the year 2013. Senior year of my high school career. That year I had about 5-6 albums on rotation. Old by Danny Brown, Tape Two by Young Fathers, Doris by Earl Sweatshirt, BetterOffDEAD by Flatbush Zombies, and Acid- freakin Rap.
I loved that album so much, I listed it as my favorite of 2013. (I realize there were better albums that year, but hey, I was a teenager, a kid with good rapping and a nostalgic, feel-good sound was the best thing on Earth for me.)
See, this new album I've had to think long about. Coloring Book was everything I wanted his follow-up to be. It has massive gospel influence, (probably Kanye influence there) Chance is rapping his ass off, but I can't help but feel... sort of disappointed?
I'll start off with this. The production is damn awesome. You can feel a progression from Acid Rap to here. The production sounds better, it sounds slick, sounds properly recorded, not that Acid Rap wasn't, but it did have that "amatuer mixtape" feel, in which Coloring Book has a more studio production feel. The features are also pretty damn impressive, you got Kanye, Young Thug, JB, Lil Boat, Jay Electronica, T-Pain, Jeremih, Future, 2 Chainz, even Weezy himself. What was the biggest name from Acid Rap? His friends and Twista? (Though that Twista feature is an all-time favorite.)
After that though, I don't think Chance was nearly has hungry here as he was on Acid Rap. I mean, don't get me wrong, Chance raps his ass off, and comes up with some catchy-ass songs, but how many crazy good verses were on Acid Rap? Good Ass Intro, Cocoa Butter Kisses, Acid Rain, Lost, Interlude, all had great verses with messages, and were some of his most focused verses. The only couple verses that even come close to those ones were on How Great or on the second Blessings. It feels like Chance knew he didn't have to keep proving himself cause in a way, he already has, so thus, the verses are not as hungry, not as focused. Lot of great, catchy, pop songs, but I wanted more rap songs. 
But hey, I didn't want Acid Rap 2. I wanted my damn Coloring Book. And I enjoy the hell out of it.

Favorite tracks: All We Got, No Problem, Summer Friends, both Blessings, Angels, How Great
Least favorite: Smoke Break, Mixtape tbh

7.5/10 

Comments