THE RANKED LIST OF DRAKE'S ALBUMS

Going outside my comfort zone. Plus it's October, why not?
Praise 6 God.

"Draketober" is in full force. 
So. I'm not going to front, I have a history with this man's music. If you met a high school Alexzander, he'd probably tell you, "Pink Floyd and Nirvana are the best things to ever happen to music, and Drake sux bro!" (Yes, I was one of thooooose.)
However, as time went on, and I found my absolute with hip hop, at a point my focus went back to Drake. I was stuck here wondering what people saw in him. Honestly, he's not a favorite of mine, but there's this undeniable fact that he's probably the most influential young artist in the game, and there's a TON of decent-great Drake songs. I find what Drake did for hip hop was essential, he's was the next step after Kanye brought down the bling era, and Drake came in and then hip hop got emotional. Obviously there was plenty of emotion before, but Drake was the dude that made it okay to be soft on the mic and still make plenty of hits, bangers, and multi-platinum selling albums. 

The thing with Drake is, I feel any conversation with him, we have to mention sales numbers and accolades before we even start with the music. Which is disappointing to me, so for this list, we're focusing solely on the music. Nothing else matters but the music.

Alright, so now that you know how I feel about this guy, let's rank his albums. Worst to best. I'm not counting mixtapes, except for If You're Reading This, It's Too Late, it was sold and is as consistent as an album, same with the "playlist" More Life (Room for Improvement and Comeback Season will not be on here, though they are decent mixtapes actually). And I'm also not counting the collaberative album What a Time To Be Alive. This is all in my opinion. If you got a different list, share it with me or others. This is all for fun.

Let's go.

6. Views (2016)


Views is my least favorite Drake album. There's not much to this album besides the dancehall influence and the couple of songs I actually liked ("Feel No Ways", "Weston Road Flows", "Hype", and I guess "Hotline Bling" though it's a bonus track). Otherwise most of the songs here are very boring, one note, with sprinkles of downright terrible tracks (Mostly "Child's Play", holy shit what was Drake on?!?). The almost feature length doesn't help it any either. In fact, it just makes me even more disappointed in this album than I was ever before. Sure, we have glimmers of emotional Drake, but the performances are so drab and unappealing, it's hard to sit through at points. I'm aware this is very much a "mood" album, you just kind of throw on, but the only activity I see myself putting this on is when I'm trying to sleep.

5. Thank Me Later (2010)

This was his transition record to the mainstream. And you know what? It's very meh, but it's better than I once thought. I used to loathe this record, this and Take Care. Mostly because I had no idea Drake was capable of better. But after a couple more listens, it's got some decent tunes ("Over", "Find Your Love"), but it also sounds like a Drake trying desperately to appeal to the radio at the time. The production is refined, but too refined sometimes. It also showed his most vapid and shallow lyrics yet, unfortunately. But, you can also hear Drake starting to come into his own, but he did have a ways to go. It did, however, set the foundation of what he would do later.

4. More Life (2017)


This placement was the hardest one for me. I actually like a decent amount of the tracks on here ("Free Smoke", "Passionfruit", "Gyalchester", "4422", "Fake Love"), but I also don't like a number of tracks here. For a supposed "throwaway" album, I found it more interesting to listen to than Views, in fact it's basically Views but with better tracks. The obviously painful Jamaican cadence is there, and doesn't look to be going anytime soon. Not to mention half this album is straight up unmixed.
The only reason it did not get higher is it doesn't flow like an album at all. I know that's the intention, but honestly, if you delete a few tracks (a good 30 minutes worth), you could make a decent Drake album out of this. But as is, it's a mess with a few good highlights. 

3. Nothing Was The Same (2013)


I'm still super conflicted about this project, if I'm honest. It has my absolute favorite Drake song ("Tuscan Leather"), but my absolute least favorite Drake song ever (what even are you "Worst Behavior"? You sound like you're about to go in.. then the song ends. Fuck that song.) However, both those songs fit in this album. This album was the follow-up to Take Care, Drake's definitive album, and he doubled down the ambient and space-y beats, and sounded cleaner than ever. This is Drake on top of the world, and in my opinion, could've been done better. However, for what it is, it's a mixed bag of good ideas, my favorite Drake-isms ("The all black Maybach but I'm not a racist/ Inside's whiter than Katy Perry's face is", "You don't even know about the shit I been through/ I just want head in a comfortable bed"), and plenty of that space-y emotional Drake that either floors me or bores me to tears. 

2. Take Care (2011)


The penultimate and essential Drake album. I'd argue this album changed hip hop... probably forever. It's as influential as a College Dropout, or even a Stankonia. This whole sound basically changed the game, everyone is still trying to emulate it, even Drake tries to sound like Take Care Drake sometimes. It's one of the moodiest albums he's ever made, it'll probably go down as a classic to a lot of people.
So, you'll be asking "so why the hell is it number 2???"
Honestly, I like this album. I just don't love it.
I can already hear people that know me well, screaming "I THOUGHT YOU HATED THIS ALBUM". And I'll admit, I used to. I really used to hate this thing, back in the days where In Utero was the greatest album of all time. lol.
However, I gave it a chance with my newly open-minded ears. I was wrong about this thing. There's some very, very good Drake tracks on here, man. ("Shot For Me", "Headlines", "Under Ground Kings", "The Real Her") It's one of his most consistent projects. There's only one song I can not stand whatsoever. "Marvin's Room", is the anthem of the pathetic assholes that can't get over their ex. I'm not even kidding, I hate this song more than "Child's Play".
However, the rest of the album ranges from fine filler to great classic Drake.
This is Drake's classic album. And I can see why.
Don't even get me started on the Kendrick Lamar interlude on "Buried Alive". shivers.


1. If You're Reading This, It's Too Late (2015)


The best Drake album. And it's not even an album. And Drake considers it his most sub-par work.
I don't know what Drake was smoking when he said that, but this is anything but sub-par.
There's not a bad track on here, it's FILLED to the brim with great Drake-isms ("On my way, money taught me Spanish/ Make it andale", "Bein number two is just being the first to lose"), and has my favorite Drake tracks by far. 
This is a Drake at the top of this game at the height of his powers. For the first time, I was actually excited for new music from him. This was the first tape from him I listened to on the daily. You also had every kind of Drake you could ask for, the emotional, the hyped, the lyrical. They're all here in full force. I even get the impression he didn't even try that hard on this album, that's the great part about it. His confidence is so high, his energy felt untouchable, and his verses are his best verses to date. 
However, I'm aware I may never get this Drake ever again. Every single Drake album after this one has been going in a different direction. Which is fine, good artists explore different sounds. But after the greatness that is "Know Yourself", "Legend", "10 Bands", "No Tellin", "Madonna", "Used To", and "6PM In New York", I really wouldn't mind if this was the last project like this. 


There you have it, folks. Didn't even mention ghostwriters once. Not ONCE. I wanna see your lists, and jam a little Drizzy if you're having a bad day. He could make you dance, cry, or laugh hard as hell too.

"I got so many chains they call me Chaining Tatum" Yes, this man said this. It's amazing.


Comments