Everybody by Logic Review

"The All Lives Matter rap album". That almost sums it up.

I'll admit, I was never big on Logic. I heard "Under Pressure", his big studio debut, and I didn't hate it, I just thought it was eerily similar to the sound of Kendrick Lamar's "good kid, m.a.a.d. city". In fact, for me personally, a lot of Logic's music just seems to me that he's more of a fan of hip hop than an artist. He loves other artists so much, he loves to show that in his music, and there's nothing wrong with that at all, but it kind of kills any individual artistry if that's most of what you do. Sure, Logic is creating a dialogue about race, it's all over this album, maybe even a little too much to be honest. But, I still have yet to hear an album that's uniquely Logic's. But this album is close. It's almost there.

I think "Everybody", the song of course, was one of the better Logic tracks I've heard, it had a nice beat, the lyrics are decently thought-provoking, and I like the message too. It's not really deep or anything, it really wants to be deep, but you can get the same message from a white hip hop fan in high school. In fact, a lot of these tracks really, really, want to be this deep, heady, conscious hip hop that's as thought-provoking as To Pimp A Butterfly, The Cool, or even a decent conscious Kanye record. Thing is, it's really not. Logic takes on these huge, vast topics, mostly problems of the world, but offers no solutions, or perspective. Sure, he can monologue on a track, doesn't make it "deep".

Another big problem I have with this album is all the monologues and skits. The monologues are good, don't get me wrong, he tells worthwhile stories on them. However, he usually does this on a decent beat, soooooo why doesn't he just rap it? If you're a really good MC, you should just be able to rap your story, rather than tell it on a really good beat. Perhaps, use a different flow, or use a different beat. Like on the song, "Take It Back". He tells a riveting story of where he came from. It's really cool, but why didn't he just rap the story? He still rhymes most of the time so I just see a very missed opportunity here.
The skits are even worse. The seem thrown in last minute. See, this album was once called AfricAryan, ya know, the closing track. I actually think it would've fit better if the skits were removed. It seems that when the controversy hit, he shifted the concept of the album to fit the "Everybody is cool!" theme, rather than the "I've seen the good and bad sides of being who I am, an African and Aryan." I thought it would've been a great concept. But, since we live in the world if you mention anything even sort of problematic, there will be a huge controversy. So, Logic shifted to the "Everybody is cool!" theme, and with it, some new skits, with Neil DeGrasse Tyson as GOD. Sounds great in theory. Then you listen to the album. The theory presented, is that everyone on Earth is actually one soul, looping from body to body, until the soul is mature enough to become a God. Not only is there some flaws to this theory, it also sounds like something that your slightly edgy Christrian friend shared on Facebook. Actually, that's exactly where I saw this theory on. That "mind blowing" theory mostly told in the track "The Waiting Room", it's a theory I like, but something I have heard before.

Overall, I wasn't too happy with Everybody, it had aspects and songs I loved, but ended up being an album that wanted to be deep, but ended up making all his fans thinking it was deep. Logic needs something to separate himself from the rest of the pack, instead of letting the outside sound influence him.

6/10

Favorite Tracks: Everybody, Confess, America, Ink Blot, Anziety, half of AfricAryan

Least Favorites: Waiting Room, Killing Spree got annoying quick


Comments