Some Catching Up (GOTG Vol. 2, Wonder Woman, BrockHampton, Vince Staples, Baby Driver)

So, I took a couple weeks off.  Life takes you away sometimes. You think things are figured out, then everything that could go wrong, goes wrong. So, in this time, I had little time to write.

Also, I'll admit the way I am really bad on keeping schedules with my reviews.

SO. I will be playing catch up, and, in a very spic and span manner, my thoughts on these various films.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - 9/10

I really didn't know this franchise could get any better, then it did.
Very rarely you'll ever see a sequel match up to the quality of the original, and this one did even better. There's always that talk after the "origin story" movie, that the next one will be totally original and go off in it's own direction. I can gladly say that about this sequel.
Literally all of the main characters have their own arcs and motivations in this film. It's awesome. It's not 'Peter Quill and His Cool Friends'. It's the Guardians of the Galaxy, versus Ego the Living Planet, which was a dope villain. It's wonders when you have a capable writer/director set up the villain, and damn, Ego was great. Kurt Russell was the man.
Honestly, the only thing I didn't really like was the pacing of the ending, but then it made me cry, so that kind of made up for it.
I really don't know how they could top this.


Wonder Woman - 8.5/10

Yay! A DC film is actually good for once!
This is absolutely barebones entertainment, having said that, it's done so well, in a franchise that needs it. I can take the formulaic plot beats, because they're done so well and with care. Hell, it feels so fresh I actually have some hope for the DCEU.
The action is decent, the acting is nice, the world they built was fantastic.
And may I say, the romance in this film is actually amazingly good. I was very surprised at the chemistry of Gal Gadot and Chris Pine.
I was pleasantly surprised with this film, and this gives me hope for Justice League.


Saturation by BrockHampton - 9/10

YESSSSSSSS. This is the kind of new hip hop production I'm looking for. Very diverse project, my very first from BrockHampton, actually. I have something good to say about every track except a couple, but even then, the production is great all around.
From the raw, loud start of "HEAT",  to the spacey, braggadocios "GOLD", the summer jam feel of "SWIM", to the bi-polar madness of "BUMP". I have the impression you would at least love one track from this album.


Big Fish Theory by Vince Staples - 7/10

Water. water. water. water. water.
The production sound like water.
I really wish Vince would really focus down on his projects. If you look up the meaning of "Big Fish Theory", it's very interesting, thought-provoking, and I barely saw that at all in this album, lyrically. Although most of the songs here were pure fire, I didn't like more tracks than I hoped. The opener and closer were absolute duds, was "Rain Come Down" really supposed to be the closer?
However, the production f*ckin' saves this thing. Vince once again graces us his ear for good production and producers. "Big Fish" sounds great, "745" has a great west coast slap, "Yeah Right" and "Homage" were straight from the PC Music playbook.
Give it a shot if you're into that sort of thing.


Baby Driver - 8.5/10

Edgar Wright did it again.
Baby Driver is very much a showcase of Edgar's directing talents. That opening alone is very much an early victory lap. Full of style and wit, Wright is operating at the height of his powers, and the cast made sure to be on par with that. First of all. Jamie Foxx. HOLY SH*T JAMIE FOX MAN. Everyone else here was great as well. I really liked the romance, the car chases, the quick editing. It felt like a rock, action musical, then like a Quentin Tarantino film.
The only real issue I have is the middle gets a little slow, and I wished the main villain was another villain, but I still loved how it ended.
Okay, the Epilogue drags a little too.
But you know, I have to consider this one of Wright's best films.
Go see it if you can.



Comments